Saturday 16 March 2013

It's almost time ...

It's the day before the race. This time tomorrow I should hopefully have run 6.2 miles in less than 60 minutes.  I'm excited rather than nervous and this is unusual for me, I tend to get anxious at the smallest of changes to my routine so I'm very surprised with how calm I'm currently feeling.

If there's just one thing niggling at me it would be about pre-race meals.  I've read a few things online and discussed 'carb-loading' with other people who enjoy running but I've yet to come across any kind of advice that resonates with me other than 'stick to your normal routine'.

I can see the sense in not changing anything so close to race day; if something were to affect me negatively it'd be on race day that I suffered the effects and by then the damage is done.  With my very limited knowledge about diet and nutrition it's too big a gamble for me to take so I think I will just stick to what I know.

Tonight we're having some family round for food and drinks then maybe (read: probably) a trip to the local pub.  I'll obviously be abstaining from any sort of alcohol as I've found this really effects me on training runs the day after, and my evening meal will be brown rice (egg fried?) and stir fried vegetables.

In the morning I'll rustle up some scrambled eggs and my usual oat/banana shake.  I'm up early for the Australian Grand Prix so I've got plenty of time to eat and let my stomach settle.

Feet don't fail me now. Well, tomorrow.

The next time I write about the 10k it should all be in the past tense!  

Wish me luck!

If by some miracle the times are published before I get to write about the race, they can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. If anyone has any suggestions for pre-race meals, feel free to comment!!

    ReplyDelete