Wednesday 20 March 2013

1:03:49

On Sunday the 17th March I started and finished my first ever timed 10k race.  However, it certainly wasn't easy.

I spent most of the night before getting in and out of bed in order to let the dog out into the garden to be sick, this went on from around midnight to half past 2 in the morning.  I'd decided to sleep on the sofa so I didn't have as far to go to let him out and and ended up getting just 2 and half hours sleep.

I ate a decent breakfast of an omelette followed by an oat/banana shake and had a few hours to let this settle before heading off to Dronfield.  I wasn't feeling tired, but by now the nerves were starting to kick in.

The start of the race was a very simple, organised affair with an announcement that runners were to stand in groups according to how quickly they thought they'd complete the race.  I positioned myself just after the 60 minute mark.

I can't remember how the race started, whether it was a countdown, a klaxon or a starting pistol.  All I remember of the start was the collective shuffle forward as we moved toward the timing boards.  As soon as we were through the barriers that would record the time we set off I broke into a very gentle jog, being careful to keep my pace on the slower side.

Very quickly it became apparent that the course was hillier than anything I'd run before.  My local 3 mile route does have hills, but they tend to be short and steep rather than long and steady.  I definitely prefer the shorter, steeper hills.

I was keeping up with the pack for probably the first 2 and half kilometers but then I definitely saw a thinning of runners and every now and again someone would pass me.  I wasn't discouraged by it, but I was thinking more about my time and probably tried to run faster, rather than slowing for the inclines and pushing harder on the flatter sections.

Halfway round the course I didn't think I'd be able to finish it.  I was distracted by my iphone in my pocket, bouncing around and pulling my shorts down so I had to ditch it when I saw my girlfriend in the crowd.  It was a smooth changeover, no break in pace and I was free to run without fear of mooning the person behind me.

The hills really took their toll on me, I struggled on, ignoring the drink stations so as not to interrupt any momentum I might have had and I got to the 8k mark.  The final 2 were really difficult, we went past a bakery for f**k's sake! Why send the route past a bakery that pumps out the smell of warm fruit loaves?! It was just cruel.

I pushed on, made it to the finish line and then found a drink station.  It was over.  I'd glanced at my time as I neared the finish line and it wasn't under the 60 minutes that I was hoping for.  I ran it in 1:03:49.

I was mildly disappointed at first, but after considering the hills and the fact that I'd not participated in a race before, I started to feel a little better. 

I made the school-boy error of not stretching off after my race.  I went for a pint instead.  I paid for this with a very sore knee that I struggled to put weight on, but with a support bandage on for a few hours this eventually went and all was well again.

I can't say that I 'enjoyed' the race, because I didn't, but I can say that I'm glad to have done it and I will be doing more.  I've also been thinking about the half marathon I was hoping to do in May and this now seems very optimistic that I can get my running game up to that sort of distance.

I may have to focus this year on getting technique and general fitness up to a decent level, fit in a few 10ks with (hopefully) improved times, and see how I feel next year.

There has also been talk of doing the Tough Mudder, however I haven't signed up yet.  As soon as I do, I'll waffle on about it in a blog post I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment