Wednesday 6 February 2013

Vegan February



In an attempt to improve my lifestyle I've taken up jogging. So far it's been a great way to unwind after work (rather than sitting in front of the tv) but it does seem to be taking a toll on my knees.

I understand there may be a number of reasons for this, but the most obvious one I think I can see is that I'm carrying more weight than I need to. So, to try and cut down the amount of junk I consume, and the weight I'd gain, I am attempting to go one month as a vegan, or as near to it as possible.

I won't be strictly vegan as I will still wear leather shoes and I will still eat the eggs from my chickens. I feel I can justify the egg part because I can account for the welfare of the hens and I know they couldn't be cared for better.

Today is the second day of being a semi-vegan so it's still too early to notice any major differences.  Interestingly though I've noticed that my diet hasn't actually changed that much. My girlfriend is vegetarian and we tend to eat the same meals so the only things I have to be cautious of is things such as dairy products and the hidden animal products that I might not expect to be in my food.

That said, for the last 2 days I haven't eaten anything that I haven't prepared myself. Nothing from a packet, no sauces, no ready made meals. Here was meal 1:

Stir Fried Vegetables with Brown Rice

1. Chop a broccoli and courgette into bite size pieces. The broccoli stalk can be cut into matchstick size pieces for added texture and as a way of making the most of the vegetable.

2. In a teaspoon of olive oil gently warm 3 cloves if garlic and half a scotch bonnet pepper (more or less as you prefer).

3. Throw in the vegetables and stir, distributing the garlic and chilli flavoured oil around the pan.

4. When the vegetables take on a darker green appearance increase the heat and throw in about 12 cherry tomatoes and stir. Add 2 tablespoons of water and cover for 5 minutes to allow the vegetables to steam slightly.

5. Season with black pepper and serve with brown rice.

It's a really quick dish, it serves 2 people quite easily and at no point are you adding anything that you can't account for. It's very healthy and the brown rice is a great way to make it filling, with the added bonus of extra fibre.

A great variation on the recipe is to make egg fried rice! If like me you struggle to enjoy rice, this really is a great way to keep you interested once the veg has been devoured!!

I tend to add lots of garlic! 

I'll be relying heavily on these to spice things up. Great in a salad with some lime juice!


No comments:

Post a Comment