Friday 3 May 2013

Early mornings, mushrooms and FREE street art.



At some point in the last year, I came across Mydog Sighs.  An artist who was creating artwork and leaving it out for people to pick up and keep.  I initially thought he was a little mad, creating something beautiful only to abandon it; left to an uncertain fate.  I would get a bit precious about my own stuff, so the very idea of pouring your creativity into something that will just be given away didn't make any sense to me.

Over time I saw more and more of his work being left on the street (through he power of the internet, not in real life), and I saw comments and pictures posted on his Facebook page by people who had found his work.  Each of them evidently thrilled with what they had discovered and were brave enough to pick up.

Gradually it started to make sense.  

I dabbled in a little free art, creating pointillism portraits of people I followed, or who followed me, on Instagram.  After a month or so I came to the idea that a portrait sitting in a closed sketchbook might as well never have been created.  So I offered to send them to those who wanted them.  It felt good knowing that someone had received something they never set out to obtain.


I may have been a little slow on the uptake, but I've come to the conclusion that art appreciated only by it's creator may not be fulfilling it's potential.  If it can be enjoyed by many, then why not share it?

Written on the Free Art Friday Facebook page is the following quote/sentiment - "Artwork placed on the street for any member of the public to enjoy and take home. Go on, make someone's day!"

It is with that in mind I've decided to start dropping art on the streets of Sheffield.  

I present to you, a mushroom.



Now, this might require a little explaining.

I walk to work very early in the morning, knowing that I'll spend the best part of a day staring at a computer screen, doing work I'm less than passionate about.  The walk itself is a chore, knowing that each step is taking me closer to recycled air, office monotony and the tedium that is inherent in the 'work' I need to do.


Knowing that I can't be the only one feeling this way I've decided to create something that might make that journey to work just a tiny bit less awful for others.  I hope to punctuate the dull, grey trudge through the city with flashes of colour! Something unexpected. Something beautiful, and something to (hopefully) be treasured.

Mushrooms come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colours and these are no exception! 

If you see something out of place, take a second to look a little closer!! 

If what I've written interests you, here are a couple of links you really should check out:


Free Art Friday

If you want to keep up to date with what I'm leaving around for you to find, go here:

RunFastEscape

Or, if you're on Instagram you can find me by searching for RunFastEscape - this is probably the best way to find the mushrooms as I'll try and geo-tag the pictures of them in situ (it's not 100% accurate, but it's a start!)

No comments:

Post a Comment